Sunday 9 March 2014

We Have Engaged The Borg.

   One of my dad's hobbies is floral art and he's got loads of handy stuff kicking about the place. One of these handy items is multi-coloured metal flakes, which can also be stuck onto wire wool; red and gold on the Federation ships, and green (of course!) on the cube. Most of the support wire I use is also from his gear. I'm using 1mm steel rods to keep the fibre optics straight. In the case of the Federation phasers I've tied them together with gold thread and applied a glob of PVA which I'm hoping will hold everything in place and allow me to cut off the unsightly knots. The yellow light still isn't working as can be seen in this close-up off the USS Saratoga:-
   I used the same method for this damaged section as I did for the larger one minus the red and yellow paint - shredded wire wool, minced offcuts, green metal shavings and three micro fibre optic filaments (which don't show because of the flash). I'll try the red LED then mibbe the phaser will light up.

 "We have engaged the Borg"
    These are the other ships that are mounted so far. There does seem to be a slight yellow tinge on the USS Yamaguchi's phasers... Raiding my dad's kit again produced some natty green thread stuff that gives a kind of pearled effect to the Borg phasers that are hitting the USS Firebrand and the USS Kyushu. Both the green and the blue LEDs are working perfectly :)- woohoo! So, we have the USS Princeton (wreck, top left), the USS Bonestell (small blob, middle left), the USS Yamaguchi (top middle left with phasers hitting damage hole), the USS Kyushu (crippled target of Borg phaser, bottom middle), the USS Firebrand (being torn to pieces by Borg phaser, top middle right) and the hated USS Melbourne (target of Borg tractor and cutting beams, bottom right) as well as the USS Saratoga firing on the cube in the previous pic. I'm getting there..;).

btw apropos of nothing - Linwë Séregon is my name translated into Tolkien's Quindar Elvish - although I'm guessing any 'unusual' name will come up the same. I liked the sound of it so I claimed it as a user name and e-mail handle. Kirsty

   With a few more ships added things begin to look a bit more impressive. I've also bored a hole through Wolf 359 and planted a bulb in it which just about shows up. I'm still having problems with the phasers - it looks as if I'll have to replace the Yamaguchi's filaments; the Saratoga's phaser is working now though. I would also like to replace those heavy duty 'cables' on the Firebrand - they're ridiculously thick!


No comments:

Post a Comment