Monday 24 March 2014

Star Trek: TOS:- "The Enterprise Incident" Diorama - micro build log

   Another suggestion from spaceagent-9 (from Zealot.com) has got me started on "The Enterprise Incident". For Kirk's Enterprise I'm using a design by Glen Jupp which I've modified just a wee bit. I'll be using the design which spaceagent-9 has very kindly worked on and provided for the Romulan D7s. There are two versions of this scene so I'm going to have one detachable D7 which can be replaced with a Bird Of Prey in line with the remastered version. I'll be setting myself a challenge with this diorama, but I'm keeping it as a secret for the mo' just to add a bit of suspense.
   First off, the USS Enterprise:-
   I doubled the thickness of the bridge and, since I ran off two printings, I also added the circle of the bridge in another layer to add extra definition. The tabs on the nacelles were reduced to half the width in the photo as I'm working with my favoured card and those wide tabs were too much to handle. I also removed the tab from the secondary hull and joined the edges with an internal strip of paper. A circle of heavyweight card was needed to give the saucer the necessary depth.
   The pylons are notoriously unstable so I reinforced them by inserting a length of wire. Once all the sections were constructed I glued strips of curved card to the backs of the nacelles and secondary hull then cut them flush to the main body of these sections so that they were no longer hollow tubes. For the bussard collectors I used shaped Blu Tac coloured red.
For the base I've cut a corner from a box, curved the vertical face and papered all the surfaces with a starscape. 

   Working on the paint job for the Romulan version of the D7 was incredibly time consuming with just MS paint. This is the preliminary result:-
   This was culled from various images obtained in a search of interwebland and hopefully won't require too much manipulation to fit spaceagent-9's design. The main change will be turning it blue for Scene 1. 
   As always I started with the wings:-
   I printed enough duplicates to allow for four layers if necessary. The additional tiny turquoise pieces were taken from Wulf111's design and glued onto the back wing plate. I then started to build out from the main wing structure:-
   The layers start to appear now:-
   I'm working on all three at the same time so there are another two also at this stage. So... nacelle struts are in place and command modules are coming together. Now comes the really, really fiddly bit - lol. Remember this lot is multiplied by three!
   I'm just using blu tac for the command module bulbs - that way the addition of the paintwork piece doesn't add too much bulk. It's also made it easier for me to build one of the ships with a fibre optic filament threaded through the neck and out the torpedo launcher. This stage is incredibly time consuming due to the number of tiny pieces. The smaller pieces have to be coaxed into place with the dampened end of a cocktail stick as they're too wee for tweezers to handle. 
"A second Romulan ship is decloaking"
   Hopefully the green light in the torpedo launcher will show up better when I get around to shooting the video. 
This one is dedicated to Ziggy. RIP my wee fluffy pal.
   A video with sound 'borrowed' from the original episode is available here:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/linweseregon/

No comments:

Post a Comment