Monday 17 March 2014

A Homage to Pavel.

   Here goes my biggest challenge. This is the Springfield class USS Chekov, named in honour of Pavel - even if a last minute USS Tolstoy was added. As usual I'm starting with the saucer of the now very familiar Galaxy class:-
    I obtained the name and registry from an orthographic, whitened out everything that wasn't letters or numbers and pasted it in place. I was then on less familiar ground:-
    The pod shape was obtained from the same ortho', the front and back from another ortho'. I had to recolour the pod to match the Galaxy design better. The saucer halves were not joined because I knew that a lot of shaping would be needed on the secondary hull before they could be attached. I also required a disc of thicker card sandwiched between the halves. The square of grey card was used for shaping the edges of the pod. I left the nacelle supports as they were, but stretched the curved hull sections to give a profile which was closer to the Chekov plans I've seen, ie long and shallow. The remaining piece (bottom left) was also taken from the first ortho' recoloured and extended. This was a rough draft which would need to be properly shaped by dry fitting and trial and error trimming. The result can be seen below:-
   I had to build up a support for the pod using other pieces of that previously shown grey square. The plans seemed to indicate that the space from the bridge to the rear of the pod support is level. The pod itself had to be hoisted so that the underside would be at the same approximate height as the underside of the nacelles, hence the thin box at the centre of the rear end. There was a consensus that a tertiary hull was present. For this I used a slightly modified Galaxy class secondary hull with struts from an Oberth class cut in half. This left the nacelles to be constructed:-
   The undamaged USS Chekov may have looked something like this:-


   Now all that's left is to blow the crap out of it!
   I just need to add some debris, blacken the white wires and mount it.

No comments:

Post a Comment