Tuesday 25 February 2014

The USS Ahwahnee.

   The next Wolf 359 ship I'm building is Paragon's Cheyenne class USS Ahwahnee. It seems to be named for the Ahwahneechee tribe originally living in the Yosemite Valley, although they were not Cheyenne. This is another of the ships that I've decided will be undamaged. These are the cut parts for the upper half of the hull:-
The underside has the same basic structure with the registry altered accordingly.
   This model only has three pages of parts at full size, but I'll still be discarding some of the parts. I've used thin paper strips again for joining adjacent pieces. So the upper saucer looks like this:-
   I remembered after gluing all the sections together that the windows should have been recessed, but I must admit that I doubt very much that I could have cut them with any kind of accuracy anyway. I decided to work on the nacelles before the struts. The brown and blue parts of the larger pieces will be removed and have the separate pieces inset by gluing them on the back:-
   With the nacelles formed the struts could then be cut out:-
   And as always, I have a handful of bits and no idea where they're supposed to go! Time to scour interwebland for reference pics...
   There is absolutely no consensus with this ship - pick ten sources and you'll get ten configurations! So I took the bits I wasn't sure of and put them where I thought they looked OK:-



    The result is a USS Ahwahnee at a tiny fraction over 2" long:-




   I hope it does the Ahwahneechee proud.
   Which, of course, it wouldn't! It was pointed out to me that I'd buggered up the upper nacelles and fitted the struts upside down. Here's the 'refit':-

No comments:

Post a Comment