Tuesday 28 January 2014

The Final Frontier.

   In the beginning was the word. And the word was...   Asterix!
   I'm mad daft on Asterix the Gaul and I have dozens upon dozens of figurines - Plastoy, Kinder, feves, etc, etc. My first incursion in the world of paper modelling was a Viking longboat for a diorama representing "Asterix & The Vikings". While I was making this my dad decided that he wanted a model of the 'Black Pearl' and when I found a pattern on Uhu's site I noticed that he had a model of the Star Trek XI USS Enterprise. This piqued my interest in building Star Trek ships, especially because I was rewatching the entire original series at the time. My first Trek ship was the NCC 1701-A, closely followed by the USS Reliant. I later decided that I would like a wee "Tholian Web" diorama and, after finding and completing Rawen's tiny Enterprise, I found that I enjoyed the challenge of building 3/4" long Tholian webspinners. My attempt at the 'web' was a bit disappointingly droopy, but I'll fix that with a bit of wire at some point.
A blurry, green USS Defiant (build using MTK's "Build A Starship" kit and a colour overlaying program) can be seen in the distance. The web was made using a few strands of red and orange thread.
   I was toying with the idea of a diorama for "The Doomsday Machine", but scrapped that since the planet killer would fill the room at that scale. Instead I opted for a damaged USS Constellation using MTK's kit with layered pieces, and screenshots from the episode. Here is the result:-




I don't care if 'pride comes before a fall' - I'm proud of this wee guy!
   The only other diorama I'm planning on is another Asterix one and in the meantime it's back to the micro- minis.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment