Thursday 24 July 2014

Star Trek DS9:- Operation Return Diorama - 'micro' build log pt.4

   Now that I have an infestation of bugs (Jemmie & Cardie) I'm starting on D-Whale's vor'cha design in three colour schemes. I first cut the wing parts and pieces for two upper modules with all the tabs removed:-
   With the wings connected I cut the parts for another two upper modules:-
   I'm still building and attaching modules:-
without instructions so it's kinda slow going for me - even with my Eaglemoss model as a guide.
   I added all the top modules and cut the parts for the section joining the wings to the nacelles:-
   I connected the nacelle struts and then cut some underside module parts:-
   I discarded one of the base layers as three were too thick. I also remembered to cut out the X sections. I fitted the bulk of the underside modules and cut the parts that I'd missed as well as some pieces for the nose section:-
   With the heads on I went back to some of the really tiny detailing pieces:-
   I'm finally onto the nacelles:-
   I eventually managed to shape the nacelles with a combination of wrapping the rounded edges around a pin and then getting the final shape by pushing the joined rings onto the tip of needle-nosed tweezers. I had to ditch the additional relief details as the parts were just too small. So, the finished ships are exactly 2" in length and ready to be kamikaze-ed by Jemmie bugs:-
   Paragon's Steamrunner is next - thank-you Paragon :). Once again I didn't need to change the name and registry as they're illegible at this size. My reference pics show this ship as being fairly smooth, but I've printed each template twice just in case I need any recesses or protrusions. I cut the first page of parts:-
   The central piece for the bridge had to be trimmed a bit, but I completed the saucers then cut the second page of parts and some layers:-
   Everything connected gives me two 40mm long Steamrunners:-
   Next up is the Federation attack fighter. I found some orthographics for in interwebland (sorry, I can't give you credit because I can't remember whose they were) and extended the wings to compensate for the tilt before shrinking them. Since they're quite small I'm only using 4 parts:-
   Also because they're quite small, hardly any detail is left. The result of joining the four layers is an attack fighter 4mm long:-
   I'm 'building' 14 of these.

No comments:

Post a Comment