Monday 21 April 2014

Star Trek TNG:- "The Defector" diorama - micro build log

   Although I've not posted anything for a few days, I've not been idle. I have three Klingon birds of prey built. For the build log on these refer to my "Delivering Humpbacks" entry. These are courtesy of spaceagent-9 - thank-you! The Enterprise D design is from the Lower Hudson Gift Shop and is by Erik J.
   The Enterprise is a kind of 'painting by numbers' job since instructions are included in the download - so it's just a case of following them.
   There aren't many parts and it's a very quick build. ​So now I have three bop's and a USS Enterprise 1701-D.
   I now have two of Zosho's (Novice Cardmodel Designer) Romulan warbirds to build. The parts for the upper wing port side top are as shown below:-
  I joined the strips with thin strips of paper glued to the underside so that a fairly smooth surface can be achieved. It takes much longer, but I prefer the results. With the port side done I moved on to the upper wing starboard side top, internal shapers and profiling section:-
   With the halves connected I cut the central span and the leading edges:-
which gives the top of the upper wing:). I then cut the trailing edges and the pieces for the centre of the underside:-
   The pieces for the underside of the upper wing are shown here:-
which gives a completed upper wing like this:-
   Starting on the upper side of the lower wing, the pieces are as follows:-
   Having previously built this model at a smaller scale (approximately half this size) I know that I have a wrestling match to look forward to when connecting the upper and lower wings. There was also an issue with the top of the 'head' which will need to be addressed in order to ensure that everything ends up flush.
   Continuing with the lower wing:-
the finished upper part looks like this:-
   Then it was time to start on the underside of the lower wing:-
   Progress is kinda slow as each piece has to attached and allowed to dry individually. Also, the leading and trailing edges can only be attached to a maximum of three strips at a time. And, of course, I'm having to do all this twice!
   The finished lower wing is below and the sides are ready to be connected:-
   This left me with the back section and the head to be built:-
   The last sections were completed:-
et viola! Two Romulan warbirds:-
   I'm out of ink so I set a starscape as my desktop background until I can get something printed off. I tried to build a cloaked bird of prey using various pieces of clear plastic. I tried for three days, but it just didn't work. The plastic stuck to the tweezers, the tweezers stuck to my fingers, the plastic stuck to my fingers, the tweezers stuck together - but would the plastic stick to the plastic?!? 
   Anyway, here's the stand-off in The Defector:-

No comments:

Post a Comment